Sunday 17 June 2012

The Culture Show

Last night I watched The Culture Show Special, 'Into Orbit' about the Anish Kapoor's sculpture/building at the Olympic Park. I found it informative and fascinating to observe the decision making skills of and artist under commission. Bearing in mind the past week working with the tutors to organise the exhibition, this documentary informed my understanding of working to the space and criteria provided..

To watch it again, I went to iplayer, but found another culture show special on the Royal Academy Summer Show. I thought this would be particularly appropriate for me this week, as we are hanging the exhibition I can therefore understand how the process is completed on a professional level. Not only did I take note of the hang of the exhibition, but I found the selection method of the Royal Academy intriguing as I feel this relates to my decision making skills in deciding what to put up in the exhibition.  Key things I learnt about the 'the hang' is that 'skying' (displaying works too high) is to be avoided, the size and composition of work needs to be considered carefully when selecting location (so that all the pieces work together well), and that it is important to work with other people work to gain other opinions.

As the painter John Hoyland died this year, the Academy chose to pay tribute to him by displaying two of his works in the show. He was described as England's response to Abstract Expressionism, and seeing his work I  understood this however his work is more colourful than the Abstract Expressionist.  I feel understand his work earlier on in the project could have further informed and greatly influenced my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment