Tuesday 15 May 2012

Collage of Film Photos

#1
#2
#3
#4



 Film, Tacita Dean, 2011


After my thoughts about Tacita Dean I looked through some photos I took and observed the shapes she cuts from the film frames, which inspired me to re-work my film stills. By cutting triangles and circles into the photo I wanted to make the image more active and force an interruption of line and tone. This also makes a variety of focal points. This experiment seemed to work well, although depending on the photo I work on. I wanted to explore both brighter and more subdued tones, therefore tried to mix the tones; although I originally liked the duller frames (#3), I wanted to make it more diverse, however from this experiment I can see it appears too obscure and unbalanced. As I was also looking for brighter colours I choose to use a photo from my primary research of a rock (#1), although I feel the still film images worked better as the framing encloses the space of the composition.
Despite the confusion the coloured shapes creates, I feel this works although in localised areas. For example '#3' appears too abnormal, however when cropped it makes a more appealing composition. The interruption of colour and line adds to the layering and complexity of the image and is easier to observe no as the eye is not distracted by the other shapes and colours.


 

Through each layer a new texture is revealed which is something I aim to encompass within my paintings. A textured surface when painting allows for a range of markings to be created as the brush and paint take different effect to the variations in depth of surface, this can be oberved in the work of Antoni Tapies. By layering textures this reflects the layering technique I used with the film.




No comments:

Post a Comment