Monday 28 May 2012

Tate Liverpool - Charline Von Heyl

Yesterday when visiting Tate Liverpool I attended the Charline Von Heyl Exhibition. As she works in an abstract manner I found the exhibition highly beneficial. Upon entering the exhibition, I was curious why there were no booklets with written information on the artist which are usually handed to you along with your ticket. When asking a gallery assistant, they mentioned the artist did not want any words firmly attached to her work, and preferred people to view it without any prior knowledge or explanation. I was also told that the works had be strategically placed in a particular order by the artist, which I kept in mind as I walked around the exhibition.

I found her work to be very striking due to her large assemblage of colour and form. Although she works without any pre-planned idea, her images maintain a structured rhythm. By working spontaneously, some could consider this to be our true state of mind; I particularly enjoyed thinking about this when observing her work as you can begin to consider how someones mind works.
I soon began to realise the canvas' sized were overall the same size, square. Observing this made me think more about the presentation of my own final works in the exhibition.

The way she works without arranging her composition's through sketches first, truly demonstrates the freedom of expression. Considering also the work of Frank Bowling, as he also works spontaneously, encourages me to work without contemplating how I want the finished image to appear. Through doing this I am still able to explore the formal elements of art, but also present a more natural expressional piece of work.





No comments:

Post a Comment