Friday 4 May 2012

Film Footage


Original Footage


 
When watching the film for the first time I felt rather bombarded and overwhelmed by the speed, however when looking back at the original before edits, I have learnt to appreciated the natural speed to which it is intended. From this speed I enjoy the spontaneity of each frame and how you begin to recognize new sections of the film each time. When scratching on the film I hadn't thought about sounds, only the image, but when watching the footage I feel the sound of the reel creates quite an atmosphere to watch the footage. It reminds me that this is a process not often used anymore when there is now the option of producing something digitally. I particularly enjoyed the manual process of producing a piece of work such as this. I also respect how the work doesn't require a raionalization as many paintings I have made in the past do, and this can be considered simply as an exploration of space and movement.  


Black & White edit

Orange Tint

This edit is perhaps the most effective for me. Where I replaced the black with orange it has made the view more panoramic rather than being enclosed in a space of darkness. I feel by using brighter tones, it has made the image more inviting and  through slowing the speed, I can observe the variations in strength of line, but also view the effectiveness of using a mix of technique on the film strip. The orange tint also gives an antique appearance to the image which relates to my painting work as I am looking at aged surface qualities.

No comments:

Post a Comment