Thursday 3 May 2012

Film

I saw the film projected today and began work editing the sequence of frames, but also started to understand the techniques that worked to exploit in the future.Whilst working on the film strip I now realize how I soon forgot the scale to which it would be projected, therefore I was pleasantly surprised by the enlarged markings and fingerprints. The speed of the film was also a surprise to me, the rapid movement of line reminded me of the movement of a paintbrush. As I watched the film numerous times I began to notice different qualities, for instance the way there would be an active area which would then die down; this is something I am considering using in the next piece of film work.  
Whilst editing I adjusted the speed and although I wasn't expecting to like it, I found that by reducing the speed to 5% I enjoyed the slow movement as it allowed the opportunity to watch the evolution of a line. It also allowed a careful observation of  the smaller details such as the fingerprints. 
Whilst editing I also looked at varying tones to explore the compositional elements. I found taking still images very useful as I can document the various changes I explored, but they are also great to consider as pieces of photography and as a basis for a painting.   

This was before any edit and I selected this still image as it heavily reminded me of paint drips, also this simple composition could be effective when making a painting from this.  





By exploring various effects on the computer I burred this so the subtle colour  changes can be observed , although I feel a frame that was more active may have worked better. 


I specifically like this image because some areas are in focus whilst other areas remain unfocused which is very effective as we can observe a contrast. It also reminds me that the simplicity of black and white can sometimes be most effective, and that vibrant colours are not always needed as mark making can say more about an image.

By altering the colour I feel it opens up the viewpoint making it more panoramic, rather than the image being enclosed and blocked off  with blackness. In selecting tones that are fairly close I feel it is more striking than using complementary colours. The compositional balance makes this an intriguing image to be considered as a piece of photography.  

As the colour outside the frame is usually darker than the inside colour, I decided to invert colours  to make the  markings more identifiable. I feel this works well as the exterior doesn't feel overwhelming however I feel using similar tones with white lines is more visually pleasing as it appears brighter and more atmospheric.

These last two tinted edits I feel show particular resemblance to the work of Rothko and the hazy edges of the frames remind me of his rough marks of transition of colour. 


No comments:

Post a Comment