Friday 11 May 2012

Painting From Film Stills


I have produced this painting after a series of permutations concerning composition. I firstly explored the layout and selected the frames which worked best together. My original intent was to produce a piece giving a representation of the entire film, this would mean selecting a diverse range of frames. However I soon realised this would appear irregular and unbalanced. For this reason I kept the colour of the frames although changed some of the individual compositions so they all have vertical lines to form continuity in the painting.
When watching the film I specifically liked the hazier edges between the light of the projector and the dark room. This was something I wanted to translate into painting, therefore made the edges between colour and the frame bleak.
In selecting a landscape format I wanted this to resemble the film strip. I feel this format works effectively in providing a panoramic view, but the backgrounds need blending together more to make the painting more refined. In particular I like the final dark frame based on this still-


 
 I preferred reducing the image to a basic form as all the images should maintain a basic form for them all to be considered collectively, not individually. I feel this is a good image to take further to produce more work from. There are various tones to exploit, compositions and textures to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment