Thursday 10 May 2012

Replicating Film Stills


As I had created paintings based on the still film images, I then wanted to look at creating the same visual effect of the stills, however using a different medium. Under/over exposed photographs leave interesting shapes of light and dark, and briefly resemble the tonalities of sections of the film, it was for this reason that they were a suitable medium to replicate the scrratches on the film. I chose to use the same etching tool and to scratch the surface of the photo, this way I was able to best recreate the surface qualities. Although there is a large scale difference between the scratch on a film frame to these photographs, I have found I prefer the scratches on the photos as the rough surface can be more closely observed. Whilst exploring surface quality, I chose to burn one of the photos to explore how this affected the surface. Although this was unsuccessful in making texture, I found the colours burning left effective and the way it makes the images appear aged and worn. I feel this was overall a successful experimentaion in recreating the process and appearance of a scratch film in a different format.     

Working with these photographs reminded me of the V&A exhibition Kim mentioned to me in the pitch so I went back to explore more of the artist's works. Floris Neusüss often works in black and white, therefore here I feel there is a similarity of tones between my work and his. I particularly find this piece interesting as it was created by placing photographic paper in a garden on a stormy night, and allowing lightening expose the paper.




No comments:

Post a Comment