Wednesday 2 May 2012

Apple Studies

I continued working from the Gerhard Richter 'Apples' painting, although on a n A1 sheet instead of A3 to make a larger space for the apples, to make them appear more isolated. Although I was working from a Richter painting, I didn't want to make it too similar and felt it important to challenge myself to develop the picture according to my own technique and style. From working with the small version of this piece I felt the apples were appearing to dull, therefore decided to add yellow here which has made a large improvement as they now appear more tangible.

I then moved onto making my own composition and painting from observation. I purposely selected a blue background, understanding that orange and blue are complementary colours, therefore forming a balance in the composition, although I am considering cropping the composition as the expansive space of the drips of blue can guide the eye away from the focal point too much. From these studies I have learnt I prefer the subject to sit in an expanse rather than to appear on a surface. Through the isolation of a subject colour can therefore be considered rather than the context of the subject.   


No comments:

Post a Comment