Friday 18 May 2012

Collagraph close-ups




12 Rhombuses, Gerhard Richer, 1998

When producing my collagraph prints, I chose to work on my excess pieces of paper which still had printing inks on them as they contained interesting interactions of colour. The print did not work well on the surface, as the texture of the printing inks overpowered the pattern of the print; thus magnifying the quality of interaction of tones. However, the contrast in density of colour is what makes these particular areas of the print successful. This also explores the contrast between controlled paint and free interactions of paint; through these contrasts I can highlight the diversity of a medium and accept paint as an art in itself rather than  the apparatus of an artist.
Taking these photographs brought to mind the Gerhard Richter images I began looking at after the pitch and so I revisited them. Exploring his images I feel inspired to continue examining paint on this scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment