Wednesday 16 May 2012

Printing Inks Paintings


Looking into surface quality when painting, I produced some printing inks paintings to explore the ranges of texture of the medium. Using the film still images as a rough starting point, I adapted the colour and generalised the composition to exploit the successful areas of the still frames, such as line quality. I purposely built up layers of ink because layering pen and scratch marks on the film was a large part of the process. I find this worked well for exploring colour, although they don't imply the sophistication the film has to offer, therefore will not be taking this further. 



With this experiment I used collage to make a rougher surface to work on then thinly used a roller to apply acrylic paint. Working on this surface with the printing ink made movements rough and required forceful application. As there are less printing inks and vibrancy here, I feel this works better as it has not been over worked as the other experiments may have been. The heavily textured surface proved effective in aiding a range of paint quality; working into the surface of a painting has also made me understand that the surface you paint on is equally as important as the paint itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment