Saturday 12 May 2012

Tacita Dean




As I think about the film work more and refer back to the original footage, I think back to my first memorable experience of film art. It was Tacita Dean's 'Film' exhibition as part of the Unilever series at Tate Modern. Upon reflection of the experience I believe it was my lack of knowledge of the medium which made me unable to interpret, develop and appreciate the work. When experiencing the work at the Turbine hall, I didn't feel a connection to the work as I would a painting. At the time I couldn't make sense of the image in front of me or the concept of the work. Truthfully I couldn't comprehend film work as art. However with my higher level of appreciation and respect for the medium and process, now I can take a different viewpoint on the work. I feel I was looking for a profound meaning in the context of the work, when I could have appreciated the unique process of the medium and take a formalist viewpoint.

"A lot happens in your head between when you film something to when you get it back...its a thinking period."

"Mount analogue is a mountain that exists for those people who believe it exists...Its all about metaphor, everything that exists beyond the rational self."

I find the way she speaks quite philosophic, this informs your view of the work as you begin to feel in awe as she does.



No comments:

Post a Comment